When the township of Mzimhlophe was established in 1947, a piece of land was purchased by the Anglican Church to build a school, namely St Augustine for the community. This is where the church services begun. So in 1948 with the occupancy of the township, church services as an out-station of St Mary’s Orlando and Holy Cross Orlando West began. The services moved to the present church building in 1954.
The parish began by serving the community of Mzimhlophe and Killarney including Shanty Town (which eventually was dissolved with the growth of Soweto). The parish has since extended to other greater parts of Soweto (Meadowlands, Phomolong, Phefeni, Mofolo, Dube, Protea, Diepkloof and South and North of Johannesburg) known as Zones.
We were an Anglo-Catholic (High church) until 1995 when Rev Mgquba introduced charismatic side of worship. She introduced interdenominational worship and Renewal (iViyo) from other dioceses; she also introduced SOMA (GROWING THE CHURCH). This led to a relationship with other dioceses in the Southern African Province and internationally. The community of St. Augustine have embraced and still appreciate this fellowship.
For the purpose of reaching all the community members of St Augustine, an establishment of zones was necessary. This move proved successful in managing the parish effectively. This was the beginning of a strong pastoral care ministry by the laity.
The parish holds family values and integrity high. This has been a gradual maturing achievement bringing the community closer to God’s purpose.
The church has a balanced and fair amount of elderly people who are of great importance in guiding the new crop of young people who are a majority in the overall church roll. This dedicated crop of young people form a three tiered grouping comprises of Young Adults (25-35), Youth A (18-25) and Youth B (13-18).
1. Rev. Diale
2. Rev. Sibeko
3. Rev. Mothopeng
4. Rev. Rakale
5. Rev. Smith
6. Rev. Mekoa
7. Rev. Mguli
8. Rev. Gumede
9. Bishop Desmond Tutu
10. Rev. Makhathini
11. Rev. Moroa
12. Rev. Mgquba
St Augustine Anglican Church Mzimhlophe Building
In line with our Diocesan Vision that seeks to achieve a shared vision and practice of the ministry of all believers, we strive to be a spirit led body of Christ continually praying for repentance for all.
Our mission as a parish is to prayerfully resemble the life of Christ by leading people to god through reaching out in fellowship, preaching and teaching the word to ensure salvation for mankind.( Romans 13:14)
Rector: Revd Mpho Albert Chaane
Warden: Ms Lerato Madi
Warden: Mr. Kgosiemang Phejane
Alt. Warden: Ms. Boitumelo Kobane
Treasurer: Mr Tebogo Moroa
Administrator: Ms Thandi Tutu
Sheila Modise (Social Responsibility)
Dipuo Madumo (Education)
Dicks Koloi (Maintenance)
Lilian Dineka (Hospitality)
Sonia Khumalo (Sacristan)
Reuben Lethabane (Zonal Leadership)
Lebo Mthembu (Finance)
Sello Rapoo (Youth)
Cecilia Seepe (Sunday School)
Anglican Women Fellowship
St Agnes and St Mary's Guild